St Joseph’s Cathedral located at Gunfoundry in Hyderabad is a Roman Catholic Cathedral. It is one of the famous churches of India and is under supervision of Archdiocese of Hyderabad. 500 people can offer their prayers at a time in the church and is dedicated to Saint Joseph. In the year 1869 the construction of the cathedral was started. It was the plan of Fr. Antonio Tagliabue to build a school, a church and a convent, for which he bought a plot near Chaderghaat, now the area is called as Gunfoundry. The complete construction of the building was completed in the year 1872 by Fr. Luigi Malberti, and on the Christmas day of 1875 the church was open to public.
The style of the St Joseph’s Cathedral of Hyderabad is of Italian architecture and this makes the cathedral different from all other churches in India. The central hall of the cathedral is very big and can accommodate around five hundred devotees at a time. The mammoth bells of St Joseph’s Cathedral have been imported from Italy and were attached to cathedral in the year 1892. These ringing bells are specially tuned and based on these tunes number of hymns can be played, the bells have become indispensable part of the St Joseph’s Cathedral, as they are not only scared but also safeguards against lightning and thunderstorm. The bells of the cathedral were rung vigorously to warn people about the forthcoming danger and approaching storm, these bells were also used to indicate time as well in olden days.
St Joseph’s Cathedral of Hyderabad has open bell tower comprising of five bells, the perpendicular ladders and creaky stairs can be used to reach upstairs to have spectacular view of the city as well as stately bells. The imitation of the popular and famous painting of ‘Pieta’ by Michelangelo can be seen inside the cathedral. So, if you are searching for a Roman Catholic Cathedral in Hyderabad, the right place to visit is St Joseph’s Cathedral of Hyderabad.This is the very old cathedral of Hyderabad and has also become one of the tourist places of Hyderabad.